Saturday, July 9, 2011

I Just Wanted to be a Bride

Hi,

Denver, CO. - Ivy Street - 1968/69 - I am 7 or 8.

The girls in the neighborhood (my friends) and I are going to play "Wedding Day". We will all be brides! We are going to practice at my friends house (about 3 houses down from mine). Now I just need a wedding dress. I know exactly what I want to wear.

I ran home to ask my mom if I could borrow her wedding dress. I was so excited. I knew she would say yes. I would totally look like a real bride!

She said "No......You can't play with it, it's not a toy". My dad told me I "couldn't play with it" either. "It would get dirty and ruined". I promised I wouldn't wreck it but they still said "No".
I wanted to wear it sooooo bad!

The dress was packed in a round navy blue suitcase that had white trim around it. The loop shaped handle was white too. It was in the garage. I went back outside to play with my friends. I went through the garage and what did I do? I took my mom's wedding dress out of the round blue suitcase and put it on over my clothes. I knew I shouldn't, but off I went down the sidewalk hurrying to play "Wedding Day".

One of my brothers was riding his bike and saw me. "I'm telling! You have mom's dress on!".

OMG - I am going to be in so much trouble...... I ran home before I even had a chance to show my friends the dress........

I don't remember if I put the dress back in the suitcase before I went in the house, or not. My dad basically told me I was "in trouble".......he told my mom to take me upstairs and spank me! She took me up to my bedroom and gently paddled my butt. "You can't wear my dress....it's too big and it is not something to play dress-up with".

"I just wanted to be a bride"........

As I got older, my dad used to try and bribe me with "I will dance at your wedding" when he wanted me to do a chore or something.......and later would tell me "Don't get married until you are 30".

He died when I was 18.

I am the only one out of 5 kids - (3 brothers and 1 sister) that has never gotten married! : (

I am a mom and have the greatest son in the world, but I have never been married.

I have my mom's wedding dress in the closet. I think it's too small for me now.....

: ) MF


No comments:

Post a Comment