Saturday, July 9, 2011

Broomfield, CO - 1974 - Halloween Day


8th grade.....Cathloic School.....

There are four spots open for cheerleader. I have three best friends and we all agree that the four of us are going to be the cheerleaders! That would be so cool.....

I am kind of shy and don't really like to stand up or jump around in front of crowds.....especially if I am by myself.....

The day comes - It is after school and tryouts are starting.....

Everyone takes their turn, does their cheer.....

It's my turn.....I start my "routine".....I'm nervous.....I feel like an idiot (and probably look like one too).....I know I am not meant to be a cheerleader..... 

I eventually try to do the splits and kind of tip over. I am embarrassed and whisper "Sh*t" to myself.....Some of the judges were teachers, some were nuns. They could all probably tell what I mumbled.

My three friends all made cheerleader.....I didn't even get one of the (2) substitute spots!! 

Everyone was "Oh, we're sorry"!! I held my tears....."It's ok, I'm ok".....

I headed for home, walking by myself, choking back the tears.....
Pretty soon I saw my mom's car pull over and stop to pick me up.
As soon I got to the car and opened the door, I started crying.

"What's the matter honey"?!!......

"I didn't make cheerleader"!!

My mom was the head majorette-baton twirler when she was in high school!!

She told me "I could try out again the next time".....but I never did again.....ever.....

We got home.....My dad was sympathetic.....My brothers mocked me.....I got over it.....

At some point during that school year, my three best friends convinced me to sing with them at a morning mass. Two of them played giutars and two of us sang. OMG!! I remember counting down by the second until I had to sing. I was terrified!!!

Everyone said "You sounded good".

I have never sung in front of a crowd again either.....

: ) MF

No comments:

Post a Comment