Saturday, July 9, 2011

I have to tell another Denver story - 1969


Hi again,

I shared my "Northglenn" story a few weeks back after watching a "Dateline" episode about these 2 sisters that were kidnapped by a family friend when they were little.....I could have easily been taken for good back then......I just had to tell that story.

Parents: Never send your kids with strangers!!

Anyway, here is another story that I remember from my childhood in Colorado.  (If I should just stop writing, tell me)......

It was humiliating - even for an 8 year old.

I am in 3rd grade - still at Blessed Sacrament Catholic School. We have moved from Clermont/Montview up off of Ivy and 17th Ave. Parkway.........It was a cool 2 story brick house. A door in my bedroom led outside to the top of the garage. Like a little flat tar paper deck.......The lady next door was from Turkey and she would give us Turkish coins......Anyway - I took ballet lessons too. This one day, I had a lesson. I walked from Ivy/Pkwy over to Colfax to my ballet class. A lot of the girls there were named Sharron, Shannon, Sheila, Shelly - something that started with an "Sh....."  I wished my name started with an "Sh......".

It is almost time for class to start and the teacher tells me (in front of everyone) that "I need to go home and get a check". My parents had never paid for the classes......... I felt like an idiot.......I left with my head hanging low and started walking back home. At some point I walked down an alley (about a block or two from home). I remember this dog barking at me through a chain link fence. He must have gotten out because I think he bit me on the ankle or something. I got home and told my mom and dad.........My bite wasn't too bad.................
I was ok.......

I don't think I ever went back to ballet class and I'm sure they never got paid!

I think we moved to Tacoma the following year......

: ) MF

No comments:

Post a Comment