Saturday, July 9, 2011

On our way to the Northglenn Mall in 1973 - Colorado

Hi there,

I have a story from my childhood in Colorado. In 1972/73 I was 11 or 12 (a girl). I had a baby sister about 1 year old. The two of us and our mom were headed to the Northglenn Mall. We were driving on a highway (not sure which one) but we were coming from Broomfield...... We ran out of gas about 1 mile from the mall......my mom pulled over on the side of the highway. I think we drove a Light Blue Chrysler.......Pretty soon a car stopped to help and 2 men got out. They looked decent/trusting. They offered to go get us gas and gave my mom their business cards. They suggested I ride with them to get the gas.....that way my mom would know for sure they would come back. OMG....She told me to ride with them! Really? ......I remember walking to their car feeling a little scared and confused. "Shouldn't I stay with my mom and baby sister"? "Shouldn't I be protecting them"? I got in the back seat of the men's car and off we went. I wondered..................................................

"Are they going to rape and kill me"? 
Pretty soon we came to an exit and they took it. (I was still safe) They drove to the gas station and got a can of gas (I was still safe). We headed for the highway - they got on the on ramp and I was still safe! I saw my mom's car on the opposite side of the road as we passed her. Here came another exit and the men took it. We got to my mom's car and they stopped. They actually brought me back to my mom and baby sister and helped us with the gas.
I didn't get raped or killed!!
Thank you to the two men that helped us so long ago.  
I just turned 50!! so they are probably at least 70 - 75? Who knows........I do remember that when we got home and told my dad the story, he was "out of his mind mad" in disbelief that my mom actually sent me with the 2 men! OMG. "Are you #@*&%$# serious"? He couldn't even believe it and I am surprised I am alive today! Again - thank you to the 2 strangers who didn't kill me! : )
My "baby" sister is now 38. My mom ended up getting Alzheimers at 57 and died 10 years ago at the age of 66. My dad died in 1980 when he was 44. I was born in Portland Oregon - raised in Portland, Broomfield, Denver, Tacoma, Beaverton, Broomfield, Laramie, Beaverton, Portland.....I have been in Portland since 1977 and have not been back to Colorado (except at the airport).


) MF

No comments:

Post a Comment