Saturday, July 9, 2011

Walking home from 1st grade in Denver - 1967?

Hi there,

Time for another story from my childhood in Colorado.

It is 1967 or so and I am a first grader at Blessed Sacrament Catholic School in Denver. It is located on Montview Blvd. I lived off of Clermont and Montview (behind these people in a brick house that had this cool pedal car/buggy thing). I remember walking home....down the street..... in my little plaid uniform (probably blue and green). I get to my street and can feel this sense of urgency in the neighborhood. It's like a cloud. My parents are outside and frantic.......Two of my younger brothers (1 year and 5 years younger than me) and the little neighbor girl (she was about 4) were missing. ....My mom was babysitting the little girl. The last time she saw them, they were in the backyard! Where could they be? Where would a 1, 4, and 5 year old go?

When I first told this story, I thought only 1 of my brothers was involved.  Turns out my youngest brother was there too (he was about 1 at the time)!

I can still see my dad pacing the streets in a panic looking for them. 

I don't know if the girl's parents were home by then or not...........but pretty soon (probably 1/2 hour or so), my dad saw 3 little people walking up Montview Blvd. (clear down by Colorado Blvd.) He hurried towards them. It was actually my little brothers and the neighbor girl. WOW!!

OMG!!! They could have gotten raped and killed!!!!! 

They wanted to see the dinosaurs at the Denver Museum so they walked there by themselves. How did they even know the way? They crossed Colorado Blvd.......and crossed back......They couldn't get in because they didn't have any money......OMG!! How lucky were our families?

What was my mom doing?
These particular brothers (I have 3) will be 46 and 50 next year........I love them......

: ) MF


No comments:

Post a Comment